Google

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dooky Chase's Restaurant Reopening!




After two long years, Dooky Chase's Restaurant is reopening soon! A good sign is that they recently held a job fair, accepting applications from prospective employees. For a while, we feared that Dooky's would be another casualty of Hurricane Katrina. Unfortunately, the restaurant ~ which had 4 to 6 feet of flood water ~ was under insured. The Chase family worked tirelessly to slowly but surely revive their beloved business. Also, many fundraisers, donations & volunteers came forward to help. They were not willing to see this historic restaurant fade away. It has been a vital part of the Treme neighborhood and NOLA since 1941. Thank you to all who contributed in any way! :)

The heart of the restaurant, and its recovery, is Chef Leah Chase. All I can say is that I can only dream of having the courage, determination and energy that she embodies ~ now or in my 80's. :) She has feed delicious food to locals, famous folks, tourists.... anyone who was hungry for home cooking. It is good to know that Chef Chase will be able to do so for many more years!

If you would like to send words of encouragement &/or donations ~
Leah Chase
PO Box 791716
New Orleans, LA 70179

Make opening night a huge success and show your support!
Dooky Chase's Restaurant
2301 Orleans Avenue
( 504 ) 821-0535

Website ~ www.dookychaserestaurant.com

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh My GOODNESS!!! Was in New Orleans over Labor Day and asked everyone if Dooky Chase reopened. Unfortunately, most people were not native and I could not get a definitive answer! This is the best news. This was my late grandmother's favorite restaurant. I will definately check out the next time I come into town. THANKS! I refer to this blog for authentic NOLA news :0)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Michéle P. Owens said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Michéle P. Owens said...

I was at Dooky Chase on Friday, March 28th and OMG it was beautiful and DELICIOUS! I took pictures and video as Leah Chase and I discussed art, cooking and plans to open for full dining within a month. I am not a NOLA native and this past week was my first visit. It was a wonderful all around experience! The rebuilding in the French Quarters looks good, but it would be even better when other wards are renovated. Until then, Dooky Chase shines among the remnants of communities struggling to be reborn. NOLA stole my heart!

I am willing to share pictures of Dooky Chase remodeled and a current picture of Leah Chase (one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met..reminded me of my dear Big Momma--God rest her soul). Again I say, NOLA stole my heart!

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CLICK ON A FLAG TO TRANSLATE!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting